Nothing is more frustrating than having a spectacular view in front of your camera and missing that perfect shot because you forgot a crucial piece of equipment.
It all starts with a good bag or backpack, just enough space and not too heavy. I’m using the Lowepro Backpack Flipside 300 AW II Camo Pixel. It’s a medium-sized backpack printed with a camo motive. Below you see a collage of all the equipment that goes into my bag (except the monopod attached to the outside).
Do you need all that equipment?
The answer is: No! A camera, a lens, a battery and a memory card are enough, but you will find out soon that to cover specific situations, you need specific equipment:
Every item in my bag has its function!
- Can I create a backup during the shoot? Western Digital My Passport Wireless SSD 1Tb.
- Do I have enough memory cards? 2x SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II Cards.
- Do I have a stable tripod or monopod to avoid shaking? Sirui P-424SR Monopod.
- Can I move the camera in all directions? Sirui L-10 Tilt Head.
- Can I make a perfect 360° panorama photo? Novoflex VR-System Slim.
- My lens is dirty, can I clean it? Lenspen.
- My telelens has not enough reach? Fujinon XF 1.4X TC WR Teleconverter.
- My camera or lens is dirty, can I clean it? Giottos Rocket Blower.
- Can I create a wide-angle landscape photo? Fujinon XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS.
- Can I make a macro photo? Fujinon XF 80mm F2.8 R LM OIS WR Macro.
- An essential part: Fujifilm X-T3 with battery grip.
- Is the subject far away? Fujinon XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR.
- There is not enough light? Godox TTL Li-ion Round Head Camera Flash V1F.
- There is too much sunlight for video recording? Polar Pro ND Filters (Shutter Collection).
- Remote controlled video/photo camera to avoid disturbing wildlife? DJI Osmo Pocket.
- Can I observe the surroundings without moving the camera? Nikon Monarch HG 10×42.
- Do I have enough power? 6x Li-ion NP-W126S Batteries.
- Something to eat: Mentos!
- Can I create long exposure photos? Lee Big Stopper (10-stops ND Filter).
- I want to minimise the reflection of the water surface? B+W Slim Circular Polarisation Filter.
- There is too much sunlight for video recording? Hoya Variable ND Filter.
- I want to be sure that the colours are correct! X-Rite Colorchecker Passport.
With all this equipment listed above in my bag, I can cover every situation!